It’s time to safely gather again! That means that OTA’s Executive Conference, set for November 11, is set to return.
As always, the conference offers a great opportunity for senior members of the trucking industry to reconnect with old friends, meet business associates and listen to a great line up of entertaining and inspiring speakers.
Getting together safely means we have introduced some hospitality changes to meet Ontario’s COVID requirements and keep members safe. OTA assures all attendees that health and safety protocols suggested at the time by provincial health professionals and the Ritz Carlton will be implemented and enforced. Safety will come first — meaning all attendees will have to be double-vaccinated to attend the event.
Due to COVID protocols, OTA will not be able to host its chairman’s reception or other reception-like events; but what you have come to expect from OTA’s Executive Conference won’t change – first rate speakers and the industry’s signature awards dinner honouring our best truck drivers of the year as well as the Service to Industry recipient.
This year’s awards dinner will be hosted by OTA Chair Wendell Erb and moderated by the highly entertaining Canadian comedic duo of Colin Mochrie and Debra McGrath.
Registration will be open on Monday Sept. 27 and sponsorship opportunities are still available. Due to health and safety measures, OTA will have to cut its ticket sales in half. To allow as many members to attend the event as possible, we will be initially limiting ticket sales to two representatives per company.
A full list of the speaker/event lineup is as follows:
Thursday, November 11:
- Breakfast with Minister Caroline Mulroney & Next Generation Graduates: Listen to Transportation Minister Mulroney as she discusses the important issues and policy updates related to trucking and help celebrate the 2020 graduating class of OTA’s Next Generation program.
- Eric Termuende: Future of Work and Leadership Expert: COVID-19 created a situation where employees increasingly want to work from home. Eric will lead the delegates through the hot topic of guiding remote teams through workplaces in the future. A former World Economic Forum global shaper, Termuende, was recognized as one of the Top 100 Emerging Innovators under 35 by American Express, and his ideas have been featured in Forbes, Thrive Global, The Huffington Post, The Globe and Mail, and more.
- Tina Varughese: Cross-Cultural Communication and Diversity Expert. An Indo-Canadian daughter of first generation East Indian parents, Varughese says her cultural background allows her to find “the best of both worlds” and shed light, knowledge, and, most importantly, universal humour into the changing workplace. Tina will examine recruiting and retaining foreign workers as well as communicating with cross cultural advantage. Varughese has been named one of “Canada’s Top 10 Notable Speakers” by Ignite Magazine for her ability to break down barriers and create a comfortable, inclusive, and fun space for attendees.
- The Chairman and Builders Lunch – Celebrate with OTA Chair Wendell Erb as he honours members of the industry who have built 25-year (Pioneers) or 50-plus-year careers in trucking. These leaders of our industry will be celebrated and, in turn, they will share stories of what the industry was like when they started and how the passion for the industry still burns in them today.
- Clint Malarchuk: How I survived in the Crease and Beyond. No job in the world of sports is as intimidating, exhilarating, and as stressful as that of an NHL goaltender. Now, imagine doing that job while suffering high anxiety, obsessive compulsive disorder and depression; and having your career nearly cut short by a skate blade slicing across your throat. Clint Malarchuk shares his extraordinary and heart-wrenching life story, which includes his long battle with alcoholism and him almost ending his life by a gunshot to the head, as part of his relentless effort to end the stigma of mental illness and help others who may also suffer in silence. Malarchuk’s story is also captured in his highly acclaimed book “The Crazy Game.”
- OTA Awards Dinner: Colin Mochrie and Debra McGrath will host this year’s industry awards dinner. Mochrie – the acclaimed writer and comedian from shows such as Whose Line is it Anyway and this Hour has 22 minutes – will be joined by the highly talented McGrath, a fellow Second City alumni, who has also appeared in Little Mosque on the Prairie, Single White Spenny, and The Ron James Show. These entraining segments will be sprinkled throughout the main event, which, of course, will focus on honouring the Ontario Truck Driver of the Year; Truck Hero and Service to Industry recipients.