Highway 401 traffic (eastbound and westbound) approaching the intersection of Highway 3 and Howard Avenue in Windsor, Ont., has been temporarily shifted into the Rt. Hon. Herb Gray Parkway multi-lane roundabout.
This traffic shift is required to construct the final configuration for Highway 401 and Highway 3 at the east end of the Parkway corridor and is expected to remain in place until the end of the year.
MTO reports some commercial drivers have experienced some problems maneuvering through the roundabout.
The Ministry offers the following tips to commercial drivers as they approach the area.
- Slow down as you approach the roundabout.
- Use the correct lane for your intended destination ( left lane if intended exit is to the left; right lane if intended exit is the right; either lane if intended exit is straight through).
- Traffic entering the roundabout must always yield the right-of-way to traffic in the roundabout.
- Always travel in a counterclockwise direction.
- Do not stop, pass large vehicles or change lanes within the roundabout.
- Use your right-turn signal when exiting the roundabout.
The Parkway team has created a short tutorial for large vehicles to help safely navigate this traffic feature that can be viewed here.
To view the posted signs to assist in choosing the proper lane for your intended exit click here.
To view a map detailing Highway 401 traffic flows through the roundabout click here.