The Ministry of Transportation (MTO) has announced the final details on eligibility and rebates of the Green Commercial Vehicle Program (GCVP) championed by OTA as a way for the industry to receive the benefit of funds carriers pay through carbon pricing. The program is set to commence in early 2018.
The program provides rebates towards the purchase of alternative-fuel vehicles and fuel-saving devices, including natural gas and electric technologies. The final program details include substantial rebates for carbon reducing technologies including:
- 50% of the incremental cost for a new electric truck
- 30% of the incremental cost for a natural has vehicles
- 15% for dual fuel and conversion kits
- 30% for conventional APU’s and up to 50% of the cost for electric APU’s
- 30% off the cost of cab heaters and coolers
OTA was the key stakeholder throughout the development of the GCVP program, with many OTA’s recommendations regarding changes to the initial draft being implemented.
“Minister Del Duca has once again shown leadership by reinvesting carbon fees paid by our industry back into our sector, so that our industry can continue on the path of environmental advancement in Ontario,” says OTA president Stephen Laskowski. “OTA has been lobbying for the creation of this fund for over two years. We are delighted to see the program become a reality.”
Among the changes made in response to OTA member feedback was the provision of an early adopter incentive of an additional 10% on purchases made before March 31, 2018.
As well as:
- Retroactive eligibility to September 1, 2017;
- Lowering the eligible model year from 2014 to 2010 for vehicle conversions;
- Including funding for all classes of electric vehicles;
- Increasing incentives for long combination vehicle (LCV) dual fuel conversions;
- Increased funding amounts for electric auxiliary power units (APUs).
MTO is currently working on finalizing the application and registration details through the Grants Ontario system, with the program set to officially open in early 2018. The exact details of when the program will open will be released in the next several weeks.
A Copy of MTO’s press release on the GCVP can be found here for more information on the program. The final draft guide from MTO can be downloaded here (GCVP Program Guide_public) for all the program details. For further information please contact [email protected]